When I was about 17 years old, I found in one of my mom’s books a recipe, which said, “Beauty Oatmeal from France” in its headline. A very simple recipe that promises you to look your best by eating overnight oatmeal. The instructions were simple; add boiled water to oats in the evening eat them the next morning. Not so exciting right? The best things in life are usually the simplest.
I liked the simplicity of the recipe and for years, ‘Beauty Oatmeal’ has been one of my favorite breakfast options. Sometimes, I would add shredded apple, honey, and cinnamon to enrich the taste.
Now, almost twenty years later, I still enjoy my overnight oatmeal but with a few delicious twists. I have to thank my profession as fitness nutritionist for that. I’ve added healthy fats, such as chia seeds and nuts, and I’ve added protein – Greek yogurt. Now I have a complete meal that is rich in fiber, has balanced macronutrients, and tastes delicious. Oh, did I mention, it takes only 10 minutes to make.
I hope, you’ll like the overnight oatmeal option I am going to offer you today. This carrot cake version came accidentally one day when I used some shredded carrots instead of apple. My husband said that breakfast that day reminded him of carrot cake. I guess, a lot of wonderful ideas in cooking come by accident.
- 5.3 oz (150 g) Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup regular rolled oats
- 2/3 cup coconut milk (or any other milk you like)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot (1 small)
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp crushed pineapple
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp chopped and toasted walnuts
- crushed pineapple
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to glass jars with lids. You can use a 1-pint jar (16 oz) or two 1/2-pint (8 oz) jars. Cover and chill up to three days.
- To serve, top with walnuts and crushed pineapple.
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 350 calories, 10 g fat, 57 g carbohydrates and 12 g protein
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know what you think in the comment box below.