When trying to manage your weight and health goals you – as many people do- may try to change the way that you eat. You may decide to stay away from fried restaurant food and processed store-bought food to manage fat, sugar, and salt. But, a coffee shop specialty drink can cost you a pretty penny and end up being a calorie-bomb!
Did You Know?
- An 8-ounce cup of plain brewed coffee or espresso coffee contains no fat and only 2 Calories.
- A Grande Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha has 520 calories which is the equivalent of 3.7 cans of Coca-Cola.
- A Starbucks. Green Tea Latte has 350 calories or the same calories of a medium McDonalds French fry.
- Cappuccino and latte coffee both contain large amounts of milk. The most common milk choices are full cream, skim, or soy.
The following shows the Calorie and fat content per 3+ fluid ounces:
- Full cream milk contains about 66 Calories and 3.9g of fat.
- Skim milk contains about 34 Calories and 0.1g of fat.
- Soy milk contains about 35 Calories and 2g of fat.
Most flavoured coffee and gourmet coffees contain coffee syrups in caramel, vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate, or other flavours. Each pump of syrup adds about 20 Calories or a tablespoon is around 50 Calories. Some drinks contain as many as 4 tablespoons (200 Calories). Sugar-free syrups are available and these add no calories or fat to a drink.
Donna Gelb, a New York food pro shared these recommended recipes for making iced coffee drinks at home where you can control the amount of sugar in them. (ShopSmart.org) Continue reading